Irwin High Speed Steel Bits Index Case
- 25 pc high speed steel starting from 1.0 to 13.0
- General purpose use
- Standard 118° point
- Constructed from W-9 High Speed Steel
- Best used with Stationary Drills
- Performs better in softer materials
- Three removable cartridges allows for easy transport to worksite
- Automatic indexing for easy bit access and identification
- Rubber over-moulded case protects metal casing if dropped
In 1884 Charles IRWIN owned a pharmacy in Martinsville, Ohio. A local blacksmith who was a customer of Mr. IRWIN's came up with the idea for a solid center auger bit. He sold the rights to this invention to Mr. IRWIN and a year later, after patenting the Auger bit, Charles IRWIN, along with four other business partners formed the IRWIN Auger Bit Co.
In 1993 the company's histories would converge. Petersen Manufacturing, which changed its name to American Tool Companies in 1985, acquired the IRWIN Tool Company.
It was the beginning of what would become two tool industry leaders, joining forces to create one industry giant.